69th Meeting – June 1990
Chinese Views of Sipsongpanna
A talk by Ann Hill
Ann Hill discussed the various ethnic groups
living in the Sipsongpanna [often written Xishuangbanna] region in
A number of interesting conclusions were forthcoming:
· Officials are like pigs. If they get fat, they are killed.
· The Dai in Sipsongpanna were doubly exploited, both by the aristocrats and the
· The communal land system was employed by the zhao [lords] to exploit the Dai.
· The political system was feudal but functioned very smoothly.
· Sipsongpanna is an integral part of the Chinese state and most historians consider it to
be a prior semi-independent state.